Globally, the fashion industry is responsible for contributing to global water waste by 20% and emits 10% of global carbon emission.

Cotton farming itself is responsible for 24% of insecticide production and 11% pesticide production. While 15% of textiles are recycled, the rest of 85% is sent to landfill, that is about 21 billion ton per year which puts a huge impact on the environment, he said, adding that the waste, as they decompose, release methane, which is a significant contribwsutor to global warming. 

In this background, ActionAid Bangladesh along with ULAB and Fashion Revolution hosted a discussion session ‘Third Annual National Conference on Urban Resilience to Climate Change 2018’ on 19 November 2018.

During the session on ‘Sustainable Consumption and Production, Fashion Industry and Urban Resilience to Climate Change: Connecting the dots for sustainable solutions’, the experts emphasized on strengthening policies about using chemicals and water resources in fashion industry as well as reusing garments as sustainable solution. Farah Kabir, Country Director of ActionAid Bangladesh, urged for raising awareness in this regard.

Mr. Dr. Mohidus Samad Khan, a Chemical, Biochemical and Biotechnological Engineer and Researcher, Dr. Saleemul Huq, Director of ICCCAD, Dr Saima Selim, Associate Professor of ULAB and Nawshin Khair, fashion designer also spoke in the occasion among others.